Where to Start Planning to Build Any New Construction Home
Where to Start Planning to Build Any New Construction Home
By Rick Merlini
American Heartland Homes
Certified Master Builder
2 Time ABC Extreme Make Over Home Builders
So you’re thinking about building your first custom home? Well it is easier than you think and the greatest part of all is, once you are done with it, it’s YOUR home. A home design and built for YOU and your family’s wants and needs. Once completed it should help organize your life and make it a little less stressful. . So here are a few tips to start planning your new home.
- Decide on the area you want to live. It cost the same to build a home in Macomb Mi or Macomb Mi. So what you first must do is decide where is, what I call “The center of your world”. What I mean is where would you be happiest living? Do you want urban type living or is the suburbs more to your liking? Another important factor to keep in mind is the prefect home location is an area that gives you all the things you are looking for BUT it also should be an area where you are driving east as much as you are driving west and the same as you should be driving north as many times as you are driving south. If you can achieve all of those things, you have found the prefect area to live in.
- Find a lot in that area. This may be the hardest challenge for many reason but keep these few tips in mind
- The cost of the lot should be between 18% to 25% of your total home budget. So if your budget for your home is $250,000, you should be looking for lots that cost between $45,000 to $62,500. The more you pay for the lot, the less you have to put into your home.
- Do not rule out buying an older home and tearing it down. All you have to do is factor in a cost of $7 to $10 a Square Foot to remove the existing home and subtract that amount from your lot budget.
- Find A Home Plan That Fits On The Lot. Ever city has zoning laws that you have to comply to. So finding out what they are and determined what your building envelope can be. Once you know your building envelope size you can either than find a home plans that fits your building envelope or create a plan that fits the building envelope. I find this to be the most enjoyable of all the steps. If you feel that you do not have the skill set to do this, find a builder who has the skill set you need to help.
- Set the exterior and interior finish. A custom home can cost as little as $60 a square foot to build or as much as $200 a square foot. The difference is what you put into the finishes. So start creating a list of Must Haves, Would Like to Have, and Things I can do without. For example, brick exterior may be a would like to have but maintenance free exterior is a must. Once that list is complete, you can start to create your budget and get your final price together.
- Maximize the Space. Before you start building, take a day to review your plan one last time to find those areas that you possible over looked the first time to try to maximize the space in your plan. Try to take advantage of every possible opportunity to enhance your home plan. I have written an article on just how to do this and what to look for. You can find it on our Blog at livewellcustomhomes.com to learn more.
- Picture Your Interior Design and Colors. Remember, greatness is in the details and not all details have to cost a lot. So start planning out your furniture placement and the colors in your furniture. Than start with the color schemes you may want to use. I also have written 2 other article on this subject which may help you. You can also find them on the Live Well Custom Home Blog.
- Keep in Mind Future Expansion Possibilities. Look, you do not have to do every thing all at once, but good planning is necessary for good execution. So planning for future expansion such as an
- Outdoor Living Area
- Finishing your basement
- Or convert a study into a future bedroom Can help you in the future.
- Picking the right builder to help guide you through this process is extremely important. The builder you chose can either make the experience fun and exciting or they can it harder than it should be. When looking to find the right builder, you must look for the following qualities in him or her.
- Can you communicate well with him or her. Just like a good marriage you must be able to get on the same page with each other.
- Look at his or hers problem solving skills. This is very important, take notice on how he or she solves problem or conflicts in the beginning. Most likely he or she will use those same skills later it a problem should arise.
- Is he or she passionate about building homes or is it just a job. People who like want they are doing seem to do a better job than those who just look at it as a pay check.
- Is he or she creative. A creative builder can help you through the process and make it fun. By giving you ideas and choice all along the process can help you feel like you have made all the right decision.
- Is he or she giving me choice or are they telling me what I can or can not have. Choices are empowering and it shows whether the builder is there to build what you want or build what they want to sell you. That is a big statement.
Building a new construction home should be fun and exciting. You should be able to personalize the home to your wants and needs. I hope these tips help you.
Remember, greatness in is the details. It is those small details that will make the difference. Most homes in Macomb Michigan will have those small details. So don’t forget them. Good luck with your search of that new home. I hope this article will help you.
If you have any other questions about buying homes, selling homes, building a new home or any new construction question here in or around Macomb Michigan, feel free email me at email@example.com Thanks for visiting my blog.